Sunday, October 14, 2007

Echidna Special!


Even his mother had trouble with this face.

In doing some research online, I discovered that the University of Tasmania actually has a monotreme research center. Amazing!! Here is the link. This site is pretty fabulous, and so informative. It is about both platys and echidnas, but I was surprised to find that there is more info on the platy's spiny cousin. It was so interesting, I just had to share some.

First off, I learned that echidnas actually do come in two different varieties! Apparently there is a straight beak and a curved beak echidna... fascinating.


Whichida chidna is which??
The one on the left is the straight beak echidna, found in Australia and Southern New Guinea, and the one on the right is the curved beak echidna, found only in New Guinea. The straight beaker is smaller, though here they look about the same.

Teeeeny little hatchling:



Oh. man. I am totally baffled by the teeniness of this little guy. I'm guessing that's what baby platys start out like too!! I have been trying to find a picture of one for quite some time, and this is getting close. Seriously, wow! I also learned that echidna mommies, unlike plats, usually only lay one egg. Plats, you might recall, almost always lay two. And this little bean creature will grow into the ugly little gremlin above! Talk about an awkward adolescence. Don't feed him after midnight!! That image just cracks me up.

There is a bit of info on platys also, including this darling picture:


Hiiii little guy!!

So, check that website out. You will learn lots, and have lots of fun... and wish you had gone to school in Tasmania.

No comments: